Have you ever tasted an empanada before? Or have I lost you at the word empanada? An empanada is a stuffed pastry that is either baked or fried. There are many different versions of it from all over the world, but Mexicans like my family enjoy eating them stuffed with fruit. So for a little Valentine’s treat, I am channeling my inner Latina and bringing you my special take on a traditional treat to serve up to those you love!
Without further ado, let’s get cooking shall we?! Here are the ingredients you will need:
Yep, that’s it. You only need 2 ingredients to make this. So now, here’s how to get rolling on your empanadas.
After you have your circles all cut out take your cookie cutter and cut a small heart on the top half of one side of the circle.Put the heart you cut out to the side to use a little later on.
Next, fold the circle in half and place about 3 to 4 cherries and a little of the heavy syrup on one side of the empananda. Fold the empanada in half and close the entire edge with the spikes of a fork. Garnish the front opening with the heart you put aside earlier. It’s okay if some of the filling gets on the outside as your closing it, because it cooks up quite nicely.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown. Here’s a little bakers tip for you! Make sure to line your pan with tin foil for easier clean-up.
Here’s a printable recipe for you to use when you make these for your own special someone.
- Ready Made Pie Crust
- 1 Can Cherry Pie Filling
- Roll out pie dough according to directions.
- Cut out circles with a large mason lid or cookie cutter.
- Use a small heart shaped cookie cutter on the top half of one side of the circle.
- Fold the circle in half and place about 3 to 4 cherries and a little of the heavy syrup on one side of the circle.
- Fold the empanada in half and close the entire edge with the spikes of a fork.
- Garnish the front opening with the heart you put aside earlier.
- Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and if you did, feel free to share it with those you love!
Before you go make sure to sign up to receive JENerally Informed updates!